The last days! 34 & 35
Tuesday the 22nd, after saying goodbye to our new friends, but before saying goodbye to Eugene, we went back to the University to see some summer sessions in action. (this was the first school that actually had classes we could peek into). It was great chatting with some of the students and getting their opinion of the program.
Just 10 minutes after arriving into northern CA, we noticed a vast difference in the sky! We could barely see any mountains around us. Having completely missed the beginnings of all of the CA fires, we were shocked at the scenery. (this picture was taken midday, that is not fog out there!)





We had a 7.5 hour drive to Sacramento, where we surprised Donna's mom (Stella) and sister (Katie—our most faithful blog commenter) with a visit (which also helped us break up the trip!). It was so nice to be with family and enjoy putting up our feet for a bit. Well... actually we didn't really put up our feet— mom has a Wii (thanks for giving that to her, Katie!), and if any of you have played a Wii, it is anything BUT sitting down! It is quite easy for the hours to slip by while playing this. One of the fun things about the Wii is watching others play! They look quite ridiculous, as we did! The pictures below are of us "in action". (It is a good thing pictures were not taken of us doing the hoola hoop game!)

We had lots of laughs and great mom-cooked meals! (thanks mom!) Donna went to bed around midnight when mom, Katie, and Corey were still going strong playing the Wii. Below is a picture of the orange moon we saw! (the fires sure have weird effects!)

On day 35, we were headed home! Over 9,000 miles were traveled on this trip (we don't even want to add up the total for gas!). This is the first trip that we have taken where we were REALLY looking forward to coming home. Don't get us wrong, we have LOVED this trip, but it is a long time to be on the road. We were so excited to come home to our kitties, Feist and Frou-Frou. They have been following us around for the afternoon, making sure we don't leave again! (they are really happy to see us—they just smile on the inside with their purrs!)

So, to all you viewers out there, this is not goodbye! It is just "see you later". We will post occasionally so if you want to pop back into our blog and see how we are doing, it will have new posts on there. Thanks to EVERYONE who has been following along and praying for us! Also, a big thanks to all those friends and family who have let us crash at their place... that made this trip possible (and more affordable!).
4 comments:
Glad you are back home! I kinda miss the girls...they really grew on my and Matt is using as leverage for us to get a cat. By the way, do you think fiest is fatter? I feel like she got much fatter the last week I was there...maybe the long term feeder needs to go away for a bit
Hey Kayla, I think the girls miss you too. I think they were a bit shocked to see us at the door and not you! It wouldn't surprise me that feist is eating more than she should... that little hog. That is why we don't like using that mass feeder unless we are gone. We will have to put her on a diet! : ) I hope you decide to get a cat (or two so they can play). We didn't realize how much we loved them until we thought about them a lot while we were gone and wanted to see them! They are so much fun!
Glad you made it home safely. I'm guessing that since you finished all your books, and the radio puts you to sleep, you probably did a lot of talking and/or singing and/or "car-dancing" in order to stay awake for that last leg of the journey.
Thanks so much for "stopping by." U de best! Katie and I love surprises!
My Wii (your Mii friends) will miss you. In fact, your characters will "sleep," I'm afraid. Very sad. But then, they can join Vicki & Garrett in slumber land. You need to come back often, not only to "wake up" your characters, but to defend your record titles! (Show-offs!!)
Feels like it was a "fly-by" visit! Time just went so quickly. ("People come and go so quickly here!" -- Wizard of Oz -- I figured you would enjoy a mid-west reference -- ha ha ha)
I have truly enjoyed your blog and all the great pics. I feel like I was along for the ride. 9,000 miles??!!! E-gad! I'm exhausted just thinking about it. OH -- thanks so much for hanging my curtain for me. Nice advantage to having a tall son-in-law! Yea! Now, I can sleep through the night for a change!
Get some rest before the school year begins again! Love you mucho!
Mommo
Donna!!!
I found you :) We just saw Sara & Wes and she mentioned you & Corey had a blog for your road trip and I found you...yipee! I saw your post on our blog and never got back to you...I felt horrible, I didn't have your email and kept meaning to get it from sara and so on...
Your trip looks amazing!! It looks like you guys had so much fun and saw EVERYTHING. We just got back from a road trip too, we only did CA, OR & WA though, but we spent 3 weeks and it was tons of fun. You can check it out on our blog: pfaffs.blogspot.com
HOpe you guys are doing well,
Kayla
Post a Comment